About the Department
The Mandate of the Department of Commerce and Industries is regulation, development and promotion of Industrial Activities including Trade and Commerce in the state through formulation of appropriate Industrial Policy and implementation of the various programmes and schemes of both State and Central Government. The basic role of the Department is to facilitate the creation of an enabling environment and infrastructure to accelerate growth in the Industrial and Commerce sector.
The Department of Commerce and Industries is working towards the sustainable development of the State and to generate employment avenues for the people of Meghalaya. It also facilitates and provides necessary market linkage between entrepreneurs and the end buyers. At District level it works with the District Commerce and Industries Centres for the implementation of the various schemes and programmes. It provides necessary support to the Micro, Small, Medium and Large enterprises.
The Department organises various industrial awareness and workshops, EDP’s and is actively involved with the ongoing Apiculture Mission and works in Convergence with the other Departments for achieving results.
The Department also reaches out to the rural people through its Vocational Training Centres at Khliehriat and Mualsei to generate skilled manpower in the fields of Knitting, Tailoring and Embroidery. The Department also sponsors short term courses at Government recognized Institutes and other reputed Institutes and stipend are also offered to local youths for under-going training both inside and outside the State.
- Registration of the Units: In Meghlaya, Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) plays a vital role in providing large employment opportunities, it also helps in industrialization of rural and backward areas, thus contributing immensely to the development of socio-economic development of the State and our Country. In order to address policy issues, and to facilitate the development of the State and our Country. In order to address policy issues, and to facilitate the development of MSME, Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development (MSMED) Act was notified in 2006 by the Government of India. It provides legal framework for recognition of the concept of “enterprise” which comprises both manufacturing and service entities. As per MSME Act of 2006, all enterprises are expected to register with District Commerce & Industries Centre (DC&IC) of their area and file Entrepreneurs Memorandum (EM) Part I for intention to start business if manufacturing or service and file EM Part II after starting production. However at present filing of EM has been abolished and in order to reach the masses and to ensure ease of registration. The Ministry for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in September 2015 introduced Udyog Aadhaar to ensure ease of registration and wider coverage of MSMEs to avail the benefits under various Schemes of Central Governments. Udyog Aadhaar (UA) has been introduced for running units. No need to apply for upcoming units. Udyog AAdhaar Memorandum (UAM) can be filled online on the portal created by Ministry of MSME i.e., http://udyogaadhaar.gov.in
- Implementation of PMEGP for unemployed youth:- The Department implements Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) scheme. It is a credit linked subsidy programme formed by merging the two schemes that were in operation till 31.03.2008, namely Prime Minister’s Rojgar Yojana (PMRY) and Rural Employment Generation Programme (REGP) for generation of employment opportunities through establishment of micro enterprises in rural as well as urban areas. PMEGP is a central sector scheme administered by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MoMSME).
- Industrial Exhibition:- This Scheme is a part of Promotional Programme and the purpose is to make publicity of the products manufactured locally, where many of the local consumers are not aware of, also it renders a marketing assistance to our local artisans, manufacturers etc. The office conduct exhibition in the Headquarter once a year for the entrepreneurs to showcase and demonstrate their latest products, service and examine recent trends and opportunities.
- Master Craftsman Training Scheme:- This scheme creates opportunity to the local artisans to preserve their traditional skills and enhance their knowledge like Cane and Bamboo works. The Department helps mastercraftsmen to upgrade both their skills and products in order to address the market trends, buyer’s need, and to fetch more economical gains.
- Training Inside and Outside:- Under this scheme local youths are engaged to undergo training vocational trade in the registered units and to the Training Institute outside the State in different trades with the view of providing self employment to the youth by setting up their own small scale industrial Units. In order to raise the level of training, few selected credible units has been identified, and are constantly monitored by the Office. The units are also being assigned with specific task, to develop innovative products, innovative methods of production process, to meet both customers’ needs, and to generate high end products, for more economical gains.
- Awareness and Entrepreneurship Development Programme:- In order to create awareness amongst the people of the District on the District on the important of Industrial activities for generating income and employment. The Deprartment conducted Promotional Programme like EMP, EDP, Awareness Programme, Industrial visit and seminar.
- Departmental Training Centres:- In order to meet the demand of skilled labour and also to equip the local youths for self-employment ventures, the office runs regular vocational courses for local youths (female) between the age of 18-27 yrs and class VIII passed for training under knitting, tailoring and embroidery at two training centres. Tailoring, Knitting & Embroidery, Khliehriat and Knitting Training Centre, Mualsei.